Driving School Insurance

Looking for the right driving school insurance or driving instructor insurance is not always straightforward. Whether you are a PDI or an ADI, there are lots of different options to think about. It can be tricky to know exactly what you need and to find the right level of cover at the best price.

Our insurance team makes the task of finding quality insurance at a good price a whole lot easier. We’ll give you free advice and talk you through what you need. We can then negotiate low prices with a large number of driving instructor insurance providers. That way, you’re sure to find the best price deal on cover you can count on.


Getting down to business

Firstly, becoming a driving instructor can be one of the most satisfying and rewarding of professions. If you’re a great communicator, patient, love to inspire people and are a good driver as well then it’s a perfect career choice for you.

But it’s not simply a matter of qualifying as a DSA-approved instructor, sticking a large L-sign on the top of your car, and off you go. There’s actually a lot more to being a driving instructor than you may think. You’re running your own business, so you’ll need to be on the ball when it comes to the paperwork too, and that includes your driving school insurance cover.


Driving school insurance - Shows a man learning to drive


What driving instructor insurance do I need?

The specialist insurance market has come a long way in recent years. It is now possible to put together driving school insurance packages that cover everything from public liability insurance through to dual control car cover that’s specially designed to insure modified driving school vehicles.

You will also need to consider additional insurance such as personal liability insurance, which could protect you financially should a third party decide to take out a compensation claim against you personally. If you run a school and employ other instructors then you will need employer’s liability insurance. Finally, for your own peace of mind, it may also be a good idea to take out loss of earnings insurance. This covers you financially if you can’t work for any length of time but have a home or family to take care of.


What types of driving instructor insurance can we help you with?

Our expert team will guide you through all your options for driving school insurance cover. You can decide what is most important to you and your business. And you can pick and choose the level of cover to suit your budget.

This could include:

  • Driving instructor car insurance
  • Dual-controlled car insurance (including replacement dual-control vehicle if yours is being fixed regardless of fault)
  • ADI insurance (full or part-time)
  • PDI insurance (full or part-time)
  • Driving school insurance
  • Fleet insurance
  • Breakdown cover for driving instructors
  • Gap insurance for dual-controlled cars
  • Public liability insurance for driving instructors
  • Business premises insurance for your driving school
  • Equipment cover
  • Off-road tuition


Driving school business insurance - Shows a side view mirror on a car


Do I need a specialist driving instructor insurance provider?

Running a driving school or becoming an independent driving instructor is considered a risky job by many general insurance companies. All insurance is calculated by balancing risk. That means you may discover that the price for insurance cover that you’re offered on the high street is high.

You can normally save money by approaching a specialist insurance company, which really understands your business and the likely risks involved. But where do you start to look? Finding out who to contact and what to ask for can be daunting if you are just starting out. If you’d rather spend your time on the road earning money, use a specialist broker like Park insurance to find you the best-priced deal.

Opting for specialist insurance won’t just get you a better price deal. It’s also designed to take account of your special needs. That means you can arrange cover that will help your business to thrive. For example, you can opt for cover that ensures you’ll get a replacement dual-control car if yours is at the garage being fixed following an accident. And that means you can keep working, whatever happens.

We can give you independent, impartial advice on exactly what level of cover you need for your peace of mind. And we’ll put together a package that suits your exact needs. That means you pay only for the cover you do need and don’t waste cash on anything you don’t.


Why choose Park Insurance for driving school insurance?

Park Insurance is one of the most highly respected specialist insurance brokers in the UK for your peace of mind. We’ve been helping driving instructors and driving schools to find the right insurance at the best price for 30 years. That means you can be confident that the cover we find can be trusted.

As independent brokers, we’re not tied to any one insurance company. That means we’re free to shop around on your behalf to find you the best price. You’ll also benefit from our close industry links. We’ve spent years building up strong relationships with some of the UK’s largest insurance providers. Our status as a preferred broker to many of these firms means that we can negotiate the best deals on your behalf. And that results in even better prices to give you complete cover and total peace of mind.


Two cars in a car park


Frequently asked questions

What is the key cover you need for Driving Instructor Insurance?

Driving instructor insurance is a legal requirement for driving schools in the UK. What’s more, when you bring together the right collection of cover for your individual needs, it also gives you the peace of mind to work confidently, safe in the knowledge that you’re protected — no matter what happens.

The key covers you should consider for your driving school business are:

  •   Public liability insurance — to protect you should a member of the public become injured or their personal property damaged as a result of you running your driving school.
  •   Hire and reward cover — by teaching students for a fee, you need to hold hire and reward cover as this relates to carrying a passenger in return for payment.
  •   Any driver cover — this allows you, as a driving instructor, to have multiple students driving your vehicle. Any driver cover allows drivers of any experience to take the wheel of your vehicle, including student drivers who have their learner’s license. This cover also lets an examiner drive your vehicle during a test if they feel this is necessary.
  •   Negligent tuition cover — which relates to claims made against you for injury sustained by a student as a result of your negligence. For example, if your vehicle entered into a collision during a driving lesson and your student was injured, they could claim it was a result of bad advice given by you.
  •   Replacement dual control vehicle cover — your dual control vehicle is at the heart of your business as it allows you to teach your students safely. If it breaks down or is damaged during an accident, your business could be severely impacted if you can’t access a replacement promptly. This cover ensures you can get back on the road and teach as quickly as possible, mitigating your losses.
  •   Professional indemnity — cover which relates to claims for damages or injury made against you for incidents which occur with your vehicle when you’re teaching your students and running your driving school.
  •   Personal accident — if your business can’t function without you, personal accident cover can offer financial protection if you find yourself unable to work due to an injury or illness.


Can you insure multiple dual control vehicles under the same policy?

It is usually possible to add fleet cover to a driving instructor car insurance policy. If you have a driving school with multiple instructors and cars, there may be financial savings to be made by taking out fleet cover rather than insuring them individually.


Why is Driving School Insurance more expensive?

Driving school insurance premiums are higher because the risks are considered greater when a car is being driven by student drivers. Even with a dual control vehicle, having a car under the control of an inexperienced driver is enough to bump up the associated risks.

The type of car, the location of your lessons, the number of hours of teaching you conduct per week and the types and level of cover you take out will all impact the final cost of your insurance.


Hassle-free insurance so you can concentrate on the day job

And we’re not just about finding you cheap driving instructor car insurance. Our accredited and fully qualified advisers are here to offer you impartial, up to date, and accurate advice that will help you make the right decision about your insurance cover. And if you do need to make a claim, our claims handlers will sort it all out for you to make life easier. If you have an accident or your vehicle is stolen, we’ll quickly and efficiently get things organised so you can get back on the road working as soon as possible.

Whether you’re just starting your career as a driving instructor or if you have your own, well-established school, call Park Insurance today on 0117 9556835 or fill in the quick quote form below. Find out how we can help you find the best deals on insurance packages today.

    Get a quote now