Kids’ Party Insurance – Here’s what you need to know

Parents love to spoil their kids. And they’ll pull out all the stops to make sure each birthday or event is celebrated in style. Gone are the days when a cheese and pineapple hedgehog and a game of pass-the-parcel was all you needed to get everyone in the party spirit. Now the average kids party costs £320, not including presents, according to netmums. The biggest outlay is for entertainment, accounting for 21% of the average budget. That’s great news whether you’re a children’s entertainer or you run a nationwide party events business. But amongst all the fun, games and potential profits, it’s important not to forget the essentials like kids’ party insurance. Without it, you could be faced with huge legal costs if something goes wrong, or left footing the bill if your equipment is damaged or lost.

Insurance for kids party professionals

Whether you’re an entertainer, run a bouncy castle hire business or organise every inch of the party from food to favours, the right insurance is essential to protect your livelihood. From bouncy castle insurance and children’s entertainer insurance to public liability cover, get in touch with Park Insurance for a competitive quote on your kids’ party insurance today.

What children’s party insurance do I need?

The level of insurance you’ll need will depend on your individual business. For the best value premiums pick and mix the cover you need, so you don’t pay for anything you don’t.

Insurance options to consider:

  • Equipment insurance – this covers specialist party equipment, such as a bouncy castle, box of magic tricks, or special costumes, against damage and theft.
  • Public liability insurance – this covers you financially if any member of the public is injured or property is damaged because of something connected to your business. For example, you can be sued if a child falls awkwardly on a bouncy castle and hurts themselves, even if you don’t think you are at fault. If you supply food for the party you can have a claim brought against you if someone gets food poisoning or has an allergic reaction to incorrectly labelled food. This insurance pays for your legal fees and any compensation awarded, for your complete financial peace of mind.
  • Employer’s liability insurance – this is a legal requirement if you employ any members of staff, even if they work part-time for you or they are a family member.
  • Cancellation insurance – this covers you for any expenses that might be incurred if you have to cancel the event.

Do I need insurance for my kid’s party at home or if I hire a hall?

If you’re planning a party for your own child, kids’ party insurance will give you peace of mind that you’re financially covered if something goes wrong.

If you’re having the party at home you’ll need to check with your home contents and buildings insurance provider to see what you’re covered for. As it’s a private event you’re likely to be covered for damage to your property, but you’ll need to double check if your legal fees are included if someone makes a compensation claim against you, for example because they get hurt or suffer food poisoning.

If you’re hiring a local hall for the party, again you’ll need to double check if you’re covered by your home insurance and also what level of insurance the hall itself offers. Many hired halls have their own insurance to cover them if someone hurts themselves because of something to do with them, such as tripping on a broken step. But you’ll need your own insurance to cover you if someone is hurt because of something you’ve done – for example, if a guest trips over trailing balloon strings or gets food poisoning from the refreshments you serve.

Cover you can count on at the best price

Failure to take out children’s party insurance can cost you big in the long term, especially in today’s no-win, no-fee suing culture. But you can still find a great value deal on your insurance if you look. Speak to an insurance broker with experience in organising kids’ party insurance, like Park Insurance, to find the best price deal for you. We understand the unique needs of the industry, so you can be sure you’ll get the level of cover you can count on with no surprises in the small print. And because we are preferred broker for some of the UK’s leading insurance companies, we can negotiate great deals on your behalf. That way you can be sure you’re covered if the worst does happen, but you can also be confident that you’re getting a good value price. For more information or a free quote, give us a call on 0117 955 6835 or get in touch.