Ready to hitch up and hit the road this summer? The right caravan insurance lets you enjoy your trip stress-free. Read our essential guide to caravan insurance and find out everything you need to know before you go.
What can caravan insurance cover?
- Caravans which are towed behind a vehicle
- Static caravans
- Trailer tents
- Park homes
Insurance for motorhomes and campervans is covered by specialist vehicle insurance.
Do I need caravan insurance?
Caravan insurance is not a legal requirement, but it is a sensible precaution to protect you financially. If you’re not sure if you need it, consider if you could easily afford to replace your caravan, and the contents, if it is stolen or damaged.
What about my car insurance? Doesn’t that cover my caravan too?
When you’re towing your caravan on the road your car insurance automatically provides third party cover for towing a caravan. That means that if you have an accident involving someone else, the costs of repair or medical treatment for the other party are covered. But it doesn’t cover putting right any damage to your caravan. And, if your caravan is damaged or stolen when parked detached from your car you won’t be covered. Restrictions on the size and weight of what you tow also apply, so check first.
What do I need to think about when buying caravan insurance?
- Level of cover. If you need to make a claim, do you need your caravan to be replaced on a ‘new for old’ basis, do you want to be covered for market value or do you need agreed value protection? Which option you go for will depend on the age and condition of your caravan. Speak to your broker for more help deciding
- Do you intend to use your caravan in the UK only or are you planning a trip abroad? Cover can be arranged that protects you across Europe or worldwide if you’re feeling adventurous
- Accidental damage. No matter how careful we are, accidents happen. Accidental damage cover takes away the financial stress
- Legal cover. If someone is injured or property is damaged by something to do with your caravan, legal cover will pay your fees to defend your case and for any compensation awarded
- Alternative accommodation or hire of a similar caravan. This gives you peace of mind that you can continue your holiday if your caravan is off the road for any reason
- Contents insurance. Do you need cover for the contents of your caravan? This could be everything from cooking equipment to bedding as well as any tech like your tablet or TV
- Breakdown and recovery cover. Many breakdown and recovery policies include a towed vehicle. If you don’t have breakdown cover it’s worth considering for extra peace of mind on your next road trip. If you do already have cover, it’s worth taking the time to double check before you set off exactly what is included. Check if your policy will cover you if you breakdown on a campsite. Will it take your caravan onwards to your destination if you’re provided with a hire car that can’t tow. And are you covered abroad?
How do I get cheap caravan insurance?
Like all insurance, if you skimp on caravan insurance it could end up costing you more in the long run. But there are still steps you can take to make sure you get the best price:
- Stay claim free. Regular maintenance, and repairs when needed, can help avoid accidents so you to stay claim free. And no claims means lower premiums. Read top tips on maintaining your caravan from Practical Caravan magazine here
- Invest in additional security, like wheel clamps and tracking devices. Some insurance companies will offer you discounts if you can also prove that your security is higher than standard. The Caravan Club offers lots of useful tips on security
- Shop around for your caravan insurance to be sure you’re getting the best price. Insurance companies calculate your premium using varying formula. That means you can get the same level of cover at very different prices depending on where you look. Take the time to ring around as many insurance companies as you can, or use a broker like Park Insurance to do the leg work for you
- Use a company that can tailor-make your insurance so you only pay for the cover you need. For example, if you only plan to use your caravan for trips in the UK there’s no point shelling out for European cover. Make sure you use an insurance company that can offer you a bespoke policy to make sure you’re not paying for anything you don’t need
Get in touch
Park Insurance is a family-run, independent insurance broker with 30 years experience finding great value, tailor-made caravan insurance for our customers. For peace of mind that your caravan insurance gives you the cover you need at the best price possible, call our friendly team on 0117 9556835 or get a quote.